Saturday, October 30, 2010

Unwind by Neal Shusterman


Unwind by Neal Shusterman


This book was something I picked up because it reminded me of a movie I'd once seen. I was wary to read it, however, because it looked like it might be quite drab. However, I discovered that it was so enrapturing, I couldn't put it down until I'd read it from cover to cover.

It was a thrilling and engrossing tale. The story tied together three teens in a trek to survive a futuristic world where abortions are outlawed, but an alternative was created: if the parents still do not want the child once they've grown and hit their teenage years, they can have their children "unwound" and erased forever.

What really struck me was the realism and the high probability of something like this entering our society in the future. Unwind can tug at your moral code of conduct. It made me question: "What do I really believe? Would I really agree to this? Would I unwind my child?" It is an emotional tale that resulted in a few tears when I read a teenager's point of view while being unwound. It chilled me to the core.

An altogether amazing tale. Adventurous, chilling, and morally shaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment